Wednesday 22 October 2008

Doom and gloom, from looking at the news first thing on morning television, in every news paper, on the radio, the worst recession since, what was it they said, the war, the turn of the last century? I can't remember what it was exactly, I just know I somehow can't feel low. I am not in pain, I have my lovely Tom, two grown up sons who stay in touch, my tiny grandson who lights up my life, the most gorgeous, clever, talented step granddaughter it is possible to have, a daughter-in-law in waiting who couldn't be more perfect if I had chosen her myself, a sister my dad and his wife within walking distance and I live in Lostwithiel. As my eldest son Lee would say, how perfect is that!

As I write this I realise what I have is a sense of community. I do not have to watch soap operas to get pretend second hand, I am absorbed by it, I am part of it and it is part of me. I am aware that some of the ridiculous optimism I feel is due to the place I am lucky enough to live in. I spend all day in my lovely shop, I am not the only one who thinks so as I am often told by visitors. If we just had a few more customers things would be perfect.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: